Despite 400 complaints from opposition parties about alleged irregularities, international observer missions have hailed the Independent Electoral Commission for a “credible, fair, free and…
Democracy Works Foundation has a broad interpretation of what important institutions are for healthy democracy.
In order to strengthen democratic developmental states we focus on the following institutions:
- The Executive: enhancing capacity for effective democratic governance
- The Legislature: strengthening oversight capacity
- Civil Society: building capacity for service delivery support, oversight and its watch-dog function
- Political Parties: enhancing internal party democracy and democratic leadership for a New Politic
- Extra-parliamentary Institutions – also know as Chapter 9 institutions in South Africa: assisting their capacity to fulfill their respective mandates.
Worryingly South Africa’s model democratic constitution is increasingly wrongly made the scapegoat for government failures to create jobs, slash poverty and provide quality public…
The Asian financial crisis, which followed the wave of democratisation after the end of the Cold War, sparked an intense debate over the concept…