The Asian financial crisis, which followed the wave of democratisation after the end of the Cold War, sparked an intense debate over the concept…
Democracy Works Foundation has a broad interpretation of what important institutions are for healthy democracy.
In order to strengthen democratic developmental states we focus on the following institutions:
- The Executive: enhancing capacity for effective democratic governance
- The Legislature: strengthening oversight capacity
- Civil Society: building capacity for service delivery support, oversight and its watch-dog function
- Political Parties: enhancing internal party democracy and democratic leadership for a New Politic
- Extra-parliamentary Institutions – also know as Chapter 9 institutions in South Africa: assisting their capacity to fulfill their respective mandates